Truck Insurance | Truck Insurance Quote | HGV Insurance

We're here to help

Truck & HGV

Independent service from your local insurance specialists

Need a truck insurance quote?  Let the independent specialists at your local Coversure compare their markets to find you quality truck insurance protection.  Whether you have a 3-tonne curtain side or a 100-tonne HGV, a single truck, or a fleet, your local Coversure office can help you find the protection you need.  Get your truck insurance quote today or contact your local Coversure office.

Service comes first at Coversure, and as the following feefo testimonials show, we’re the team you can trust with your business

Average Customer Rating:

Independent service rating based on 1156 reviews

What Is HGV Insurance?

HGV insurance – or truck insurance as it’s also known – is a policy that protects lorry owners, haulage firms, and other heavy goods vehicle users from the risks they face each day. These risks include:
  • Accident
  • Loss/damage to your lorry through fire
  • Theft of your vehicle
  • Public liability – should you accidentally injure someone or damage their property
  • Employers’ liability – if you employ any drivers
  • European cover
  • Loss of license – if you lose your licence for a period, loss of licence cover will compensate you for an agreed period until you can get it back
  • Goods in transit – protecting your cargo from loss, theft, or damage while it’s transported

What Types Of Vehicles Can Truck Insurance Cover?

A surprising number of vehicles can be insured on a truck policy, for example:

  • Heavy goods vehicles over 3.5 tonnes
  • Bulk carriers
  • Electric and hybrid trucks
  • Low loaders
  • Flatbeds (with or without lifting equipment)
  • Horseboxes
  • Tankers
  • Breakdown truck
  • Skip carrier
  • Tippers
  • Gritter lorries
  • Curtain sides lorries
  • Cement mixers
  • Refrigerated and insulated lorries and vans

If you’d like some advice as to whether a specific type of vehicle can be covered, then please get in touch with your local Coversure office.  They’ll be happy to give you the help you need.

What types of Truck & HGV Insurance are there?

As with car insurance, there are three main types of cover:

  • Third-party – the minimum legal requirement; this will ensure that you are covered should you damage someone else’s vehicle if the accident is your fault
  • Third-party, fire, and theft – this will ensure that you are covered should you damage someone else’s vehicle if the accident is your fault, or if a truck is accidentally destroyed by fire or stolen
  • Fully comprehensive – provides the same cover as third-party, fire, and theft but offers the added protection that if an incident is your fault, then repairs to your vehicle will be covered

In addition to the above, the following options are available:

Loss Of Driving Licence

If you were to lose your licence for a period, loss of licence cover will compensate you for an agreed period

Legal protection

Should someone make a compensation claim against you or your company, legal fee cover will provide funds for you to defend your case

European cover

Despite Brexit, many haulage companies and HGV drivers still do European runs. European cover will insure your trucks whether they’re at home or abroad.

Breakdown and Recovery

One of the most significant issues with any vehicle is that it could break down, leaving you stranded, unable to work, and facing a recovery bill. This is why it pays to know that in the event of a problem, you have breakdown and recovery cover as part of your cover.  With it, you can get back to work and back to earning a living more quickly


Do you have two or more vehicles associated with your company? You can save time and money versus individual vehicle policies by insuring them with fleet insurance. Fleet insurance offers extra versatility too by, for example, allowing any named driver to drive the vehicles on your policy.

The advantages of a truck fleet insurance policy are:

  • You can save money – fleet policies often work out cheaper than insuring trucks and HGVs on individual policies
  • You have one policy to administer – so one renewal date

Goods in Transit

If you deliver goods to your customers, then goods in transit insurance is a good policy element to have in place.  This will protect the stock you are travelling with from theft, loss, or damage while you, or your drivers and their deliveries, are on the road

Public Liability

Provides cover should a member of the public injure themselves or if their property is damaged while you are working.  It covers the cost of claims made by members of the public for incidents that occur in connection to your business’s activities, for example if they slip on the floor and decide to sue you, you’ll be covered.

How Much Does Truck Insurance Cost?

There’s no one-size-fits-all answer to this question – it will depend on factors such as:

  • The size of your business and the number of trucks you have
  • The age of your drivers – younger drivers will likely cost you more to insure
  • The type of cargo you are carrying – hazardous goods, for example, are likely to increase your premiums
  • The size of the trucks you have
  • The type of cover you have, i.e., third-party, third-party, fire and theft, or fully comprehensive
  • The distances you travel – the further you go on a single route, the higher your chances of an accident
  • The age of your vehicles
  • The type of vehicles you are operating
  • Whether you operate in Europe
  • Your claims history – fewer claims and a higher no-claims bonus will mean lower premiums

The best way to find out how much cover will cost you is to contact your local Coversure office.  They’ll be able to advise you as to what you need and create a package of protection for you.

The best way to find out how much protection you need is to contact your local Coversure. They’ll be able to advise you as to what you need and create a package of Truck & HGV cover for you.

Truck & HGV Insurance FAQ

This is a complex cover area, so to help you get the protection you need, here are some frequently asked questions about Coversure’s truck and HGV insurance.  We hope they will be of use, but if you’d like some personalised independent advice, contact your local Coversure

Yes, if you want to operate on the UK roads, you will need at least third-party cover

Yes, you can have public liability insurance as part of your policy, and you can set your limits according to your needs

Yes, by opting for a fleet insurance policy, you can insure several vehicles on one policy.  If you have more than two vehicles – be they trucks, cars, vans, or even a forklift or plant equipment – then you can protect them all on one policy, so saving you time and money

Yes, and your local Coversure office can offer you free cover* as part of your policy.

Yes.  Although electric trucks are still quite rare in the UK, we can insure electric vehicles of all kinds

A simple way to potentially cut the cost of your cover is to obtain an employee declaration from your previous employer outlining your experience

If you want to drive anything over a 3.5-tonne truck, an operator’s licence is required whether you are carrying your own goods or goods for hire, and reward

Yes, most insurers won’t cover drivers under the age of 21, and getting cover for drivers over 69 can also be difficult

Yes, if you include goods in transit cover on your policy, then you can protect your cargo – be it your own goods or those you’re being paid to deliver – from loss, theft, or damage

Yes, if the no claims bonus was earned in the UK, there should be no issue with transferring it over from one insurance provider to the next.  Usually, the no claims bonus will need to be on the same type of vehicle

Getting a quote is easy; contact your local Coversure or start your truck insurance quote.

Need a Truck & HGV Insurance quote?

If you’d like a Truck & HGV Insurance quote from Coversure, please contact your local Coversure office or start your quote here. Our independent brokers will search their markets to find you the right policy at the right price to keep your business protected.

Commercial Vehicle

Goods In Transit

* Policy information is correct at the time of writing. Policy details, limits, and exclusions are subject to insurer’ changes. When taking out a policy, your local Coversure office will be able to advise you of the specifics of your cover.

We're here to help