Commercial Vehicle Insurance | Business Vehicle Insurance

We're here to help

Commercial Vehicle

Independent service from your local insurance specialists

Need a commercial vehicle insurance quote?  Let the independent specialists at your local Coversure compare their markets to find you quality commercial vehicle insurance protection.  Your local Coversure office can tailor protection to your business's needs,

Commercial Vehicle

Service comes first at Coversure, and as the following feefo testimonials show, we’re the team you can trust with your business

Average Customer Rating:

Independent service rating based on 1156 reviews

What Is Commercial Vehicle Insurance?

Commercial vehicle insurance is a flexible policy for people who drive people or goods around for money – taxi drivers, tradespeople, van couriers, etc. 

Thanks to our close relationship with leading insurers, your local Coversure office can provide cover for a wide range of vehicles, including:

  • Vans
  • Taxis
  • Trucks and lorries
  • Minibuses
  • Diggers
  • Plant and construction vehicles

Who Needs Commercial Vehicle Insurance?

Commercial vehicle cover suits anyone who drives their vehicle for work or paid work.  This being the case, the following types of drivers will benefit from having this type of policy:

  • Van owners – who do occasional paid work. If you do paid work of any kind, your standard motor policy will not cover you
  • Delivery van drivers – who deliver their goods, or deliver supplies, so a florist or builders merchant, for example
  • Couriers – including car couriers and so-called lifestyle couriers
  • Hauliers – though if you’re driving a vehicle of over 3.5 tonnes, you’ll probably need truck insurance
  • Drivers who carry paying passengers – so taxi, minibus, or coach drivers
  • Agricultural and forestry vehicle users – such as tractors, combine harvesters, threshing and baling machines
  • Plant and construction vehicles owners – this is a wide-ranging group that includes everything from cherry pickers, mobile cranes, ambulances, mobile shops, steamrollers, and fork-lift trucks

What can Commercial Vehicle Insurance cover?

Commercial vehicle insurance offers a package of protection that allows you to cover multiple risks on a single policy*.  When it comes to insuring commercial vehicles, there is a range of risks you may wish to insure against, and these include:

If you’d like some advice or a fleet vehicle insurance quote built around your vehicles, please get in touch with .  They’ll be happy to give you the help you need to keep you protected.

Passenger Protection

In your work, you may have to carry passengers in your vehicle – a colleague, employee, or, in the case of private or public hire vehicles, paying customers.  Some commercial motor policies won’t cover you for carrying passengers, so if you regularly provide lifts to co-workers or customers, then you’ll need passenger cover to ensure that your policy will still protect you in the event of an incident

Uninsured Loss Recovery

With Coversure, every commercial vehicle policy comes with uninsured loss recovery cover as standard.  This excellent feature means that if you’re unfortunate enough to be in a non-fault accident with an uninsured driver, you’ll be insured against losses.  The cover doesn’t just protect you for your vehicle repair costs but also for loss of earnings, excesses, and other out-of-pocket expenses.  With over 1 million uninsured drivers on the UK’s roads**, this could save you from potentially footing a hefty bill through no fault of your own

Tools Cover

Tools insurance is particularly important if you’re a tradesman, but it applies to anyone that transports the tools of their trade. Whether you have power tools, hairdressing kit, cleaning equipment, chainsaws, or ladders on board, they’ll be covered against accidental damage, loss, or theft, meaning that if the worst happens, you’ll be able to get them repaired or replaced quickly.
Given these are the tools of your trade and you may be unable to work without them, this is an option you’ll want to have in place.

Vehicle Protection

This is the main area of cover, and it will make it road-legal.  In this respect, commercial vehicle insurance works much like your standard motor policy.  Depending on the level of cover you take out – third-party, third-party fire and theft, or fully comprehensive – you’ll be insured against your vehicle being written off, damaged, or stolen.  The added advantage of commercial vehicle insurance is that it also allows you to remain insured when you’re travelling to multiple places of work

Breakdown and Recovery

One of the most significant issues with any vehicle is that it could break down, leaving you stranded, unable to work, and facing a recovery bill. This is why it pays to know that in the event of a problem, you have breakdown and recovery cover as part of your cover.  With it, you can get back to work and back to earning a living more quickly

Legal Assistance

This will cover your legal expenses should you need to claim for uninsured losses following an accident that wasn’t your fault.  If you’re prosecuted for an event related to using/owing your vehicle, it will cover your legal fees and give you access to confidential legal advice

Personal Accident

This will protect you should someone be involved in an accident at work.  It will pay out in the event of death, bodily injury, or disablement.  The compensation provided can pay for temporary staff or cover the overtime cost for other team members

Employers’ liability

This is a legal requirement if you employ people. It provides cover in the event of your employee injuring themselves or if their property is damaged while at work. The law says that if you employ at least one person, you must have employers’ liability insurance (sometimes called ‘E.L. insurance’) to protect your employees in case they are injured or become ill as a result of working for you. Your policy must:

  • Cover you for at least £5 million
  • Be with an authorised insurer
  • And employers must provide a safe working environment

Public Liability

Provides cover should a member of the public injure themselves or if their property is damaged while you are working.  It covers the cost of claims made by members of the public for incidents that occur in connection to your business’s activities, for example if they slip on the floor and decide to sue you, you’ll be covered.

How Much Does Commercial Vehicle Insurance Cost?

The cost of your policy will depend on several factors, including:

  • The type of vehicle(s) you’re looking to insure
  • Where you drive and work
  • The number of vehicles you have
  • The type of work you do – hauliers will typically face higher premiums
  • The level of cover you want  – third party, third party fire, and theft, or fully comprehensive
  • Your claims history
  • Drivers’ age
  • Whether you want to pay monthly or annually – annually will usually be cheaper
  • Your no claims bonus

The best way to find out how much protection you need is to contact your local Coversure. They’ll be able to advise you as to what you need and create a package of Commercial Vehicle cover for you.

Commercial Vehicle Insurance FAQ

This can be a complex area of cover, so to help you get the protection you need, here are Coversure’s commercial vehicle insurance frequently asked questions.  We hope they will be of use, but if you’d like some personalised independent advice, contact your local Coversure office.

Yes, you need insurance to use public roads, and if you’re doing paid work, then standard motor cover won’t be enough

No, it can cover everything from cars to trucks to plant equipment

If you use your vehicle for paid work or as part of your business, then you can get commercial vehicle insurance

Yes, we can help EV drivers get cover

Yes, and while these will be detailed in your policy, typical ones include theft if the keys are left in the vehicle, deliberate acts of negligence or recklessness, and wear and tear

Getting a quote is easy; talk to your local Coversure office or start your commercial vehicle  quote

Need a Commercial Vehicle Insurance quote?

If you’d like a Commercial Vehicle Insurance quote from Coversure, please contact your local Coversure office or start your quote here. Our independent brokers will search their markets to find you the right policy at the right price to keep your business protected.

* Policy information is correct at the time of writing. Policy details, limits, and exclusions are subject to insurer’ changes. When taking out a policy, your local Coversure office will be able to advise you of the specifics of your cover.

We're here to help