Holiday Home Insurance | Overseas Property Insurance

We're here to help

Holiday Home

Independent service from your local insurance specialists

Need a holiday home insurance quote?  Let the independent specialists at your local Coversure office compare their markets to find you quality second home insurance protection. Your local Coversure office can tailor protection to your property's needs, so start your quote today.

Holiday Home

Service comes first at Coversure, and as the following feefo testimonials show, we’re the team you can trust with your business

Average Customer Rating:

Independent service rating based on 1156 reviews

What Is Holiday Home Insurance?

Holiday home insurance gives you the specialist protection that holiday properties need. Insuring a holiday home differs from protecting your main residence in a couple of important ways:
  • It may be rented out
  • It may be left empty for prolonged periods of time

That’s why you need a different form of insurance for holiday homes, and your local Coversure office can help you get this protection.

How to Save Money on Holiday Home Insurance Quotes

Whether you are looking for building insurance, contents insurance, or a combination of the two, there are ways of cutting the cost of high-quality cover.  Some of the best ways include:

  • Reduce the risks – simple things like installing window locks, putting deadlocks on doors, and ensuring trees are kept trimmed so limbs won’t crash into the house can help reduce your risks and, therefore, your premiums.

Also, make sure your property is as burglar-proof as possible.  Security lights, keeping fences maintained, and locking outbuildings and sheds will all deter thieves and so reduce the chances of a burglary claim

  • Consider a higher excess – if you have a good claims history, i.e., you have a history of not making claims, then a higher excess could be a good way for you to reduce your policy costs
  • Build up your no-claims discount
  • Shop around – spend some time comparing quotes and covers.  You may be surprised by how much you could save.  Better still, get someone to shop around for you – an independent insurance broker such as your local Coversure office will not only be able to do the shopping around for you, but they will have access to policies that aren’t available to the public, meaning they could save you time and money

What Isn't Covered By Holiday Home Insurance?

Like any policy, there are exclusions regarding what is and isn’t covered.  Some common things include:

  • Holiday homes let for hen and stag parties
  • Ones that are let for an extended period – for these, you will need landlord insurance
  • Properties with more than seven bedrooms
  • Ones that are built from non-standard materials – for example, if your holiday home is a thatched cottage, you might need non-standard home insurance instead
  • Theft by occupants – guests stealing from you.
  • Solar panels

If you’d like some advice or a holiday home insurance quote, please get in touch with your local Coversure office.  They’ll be happy to give you the help you need to keep your property insured.

What can Holiday Home Insurance cover?

Holiday home insurance offers a package of protection that allows you to cover multiple risks on a single policy*.  It has similarities to home insurance, and your policy will likely include:

  • Buildings insurance – which protects the property itself
  • Contents insurance – which protects your possessions
  • Combined home insurance – which gives you buildings and contents cover one policy

Owing to your holiday home being empty from time-to-time, and the possibility that it be available to paying guests, holiday home insurance also offers you:

Theft or Attempted Theft

Including burglary

Loss of Income

If you usually let your holiday home but can’t do that because it’s been accidentally damaged, loss of income cover will cover the shortfall

Emergency Travel

Which covers the cost of you getting to your holiday home to sort out issues like a burst pipe or a fire

Alternative Accommodation

A temporary place to stay if your property’s rendered uninhabitable and you/your guests/your tenants can’t use it.

If you have alternative accommodation cover as part of a landlord policy, the costs of providing somewhere else for your tenants to stay will be included in your cover

Accidental Damage

Should your equipment be accidentally damaged while in use

Personal Possessions Cover

Protects the things you keep in your second home

Employers’ liability

This is a legal requirement if you employ people. It provides cover in the event of your employee injuring themselves or if their property is damaged while at work. The law says that if you employ at least one person, you must have employers’ liability insurance (sometimes called ‘E.L. insurance’) to protect your employees in case they are injured or become ill as a result of working for you. Your policy must:

  • Cover you for at least £5 million
  • Be with an authorised insurer
  • And employers must provide a safe working environment

Public Liability

Provides cover should a member of the public injure themselves or if their property is damaged while you are working.  It covers the cost of claims made by members of the public for incidents that occur in connection to your business’s activities, for example if they slip on the floor and decide to sue you, you’ll be covered.

How Much Does Holiday Home Insurance Cost?

The cost of home insurance will depend on several factors, including:

  • Type of cover – buildings, contents, or combined
  • The rebuild cost of your property
  • Where it is
  • How frequently it is left unoccupied
  • Whether you have paying guests using it
  • Its age
  • Its size
  • Its construction/what it’s made of
  • The nature and value of your contents
  • If it is near a river or in a flood-risk area
  • Your claims history

If your second home qualifies as a furnished holiday let, your holiday home insurance is an allowable expense and is tax deductible.

The best way to find out how much protection you need is to contact your local Coversure. They’ll be able to advise you as to what you need and create a package of Holiday Home cover for you.

Holiday Home Insurance FAQ

It’s essential to get holiday home insurance right.  After all, this is more than just bricks and mortar.  To help you get the protection you need, here are Coversure’s holiday home insurance frequently asked questions.  We hope they will be of use, but if you’d like some personalised independent advice, contact your local Coversure office.

If you own a second property, you’ll need cover in place

No, but it may well be a condition of your mortgage agreement

That will depend on factors such as the rebuild cost of your property, where it is, its age, whether it’s close to water/on a flood plain, etc

While it’s not a legal requirement, you’d be well-advised to have cover in place.  Your mortgage company may insist upon it too

Again, it’s not a legal requirement, but you would be well-advised to have cover in place

That will depend on your policy.  Some will allow for 90 consecutive days of unoccupancy, others as little as 30 days.  If you’re likely to exceed these limits, then you’ll need empty property insurance

Most properties can be insured, though those with non-standard construction or in areas of flood risk may need special cover

Yes, you can add on things like:

  • Legal cover in case you get into a dispute with a neighbour or tradesman
  • Personal possessions when away from home
  • Accidental damage

Getting a quote is easy; contact your local Coversure office or start your holiday home insurance quote

Need a Holiday Home Insurance quote?

If you’d like a Holiday Home Insurance quote from Coversure, please contact your local Coversure office or start your quote here. Our independent brokers will search their markets to find you the right policy at the right price to keep your business protected.

Empty Property

* Policy information is correct at the time of writing. Policy details, limits, and exclusions are subject to insurer’ changes. When taking out a policy, your local Coversure office will be able to advise you of the specifics of your cover.

We're here to help