Residential Landlord Insurance | Landlord Cover | Coversure

We're here to help


Independent service from your local insurance specialists

Need a landlord insurance quote?  Let the independent specialists at your local Coversure office compare their markets to find the landlord insurance protection that's right for you.  Your local Coversure office can tailor protection to your property's needs, so start your quote today.

Service comes first at Coversure, and as the following feefo testimonials show, we’re the team you can trust with your business

Average Customer Rating:

Independent service rating based on 1156 reviews

What is Landlord Insurance?

Landlord insurance protects people from the risks associated with owning rented property. As well as standard property covers like buildings and contents cover, it can include landlord-specific elements such:
  • Property owners’ liability
  • Loss of rent
  • Tenant default
  • Alternative accommodation cover

Landlord insurance through Coversure can offer residential and commercial property owners a comprehensive protection package.

What Types Of Landlord Insurance Are There?

There are two main types of landlord cover, and your local Coversure office can offer you both:

  • Contents and buildings
  • Buildings only

What Types Of Tenants Can Be Covered?

We can offer you cover for a wide range of tenant types, including:

  • Private rental clients
  • Commercial tenants
  • Asylum seekers
  • DSS and housing benefit claimants
  • Housing association tenants
  • Local authority tenants
  • Multi-tenure occupiers
  • Owner-occupiers
  • Students

What Types Of Property Can Landlord Insurance Cover?

Landlord insurance can protect a wide range of property types.  Whether you have a buy-to-let house, a flat, a holiday home, or a portfolio of rental properties, your local Coversure office can help you find great landlord cover.

Thanks to our close relationships with leading insurers and wholesalers, your local Coversure office can do the shopping around for you and find you flexible, high-quality protection for:

  • Houses
  • Flats
  • Buy-to-lets
  • Homes under multiple occupancy (HMOs)
  • Listed buildings
  • Flood risk properties
  • Properties in conservation areas
  • Second homes
  • Holiday homes
  • Blocks of flats
  • Thatched properties

We can find high-quality policies for almost all types of rented properties.  If you’d like some advice regarding a specific property, please get in touch with your local Coversure office, and they’ll be happy to help.

What can Landlord Insurance cover?

At Coversure, we don’t believe in a one-size-fits-all policy approach.  Instead, we will build your cover around your needs.  Landlord insurance offers a package of protection that allows you to cover multiple risks on a single policy*.  Some common elements that you should look to include in your policy are:

Unoccupied Property Insurance

There may be times when your property is left empty. You may be between tenants; it’s undergoing modernisation or renovation or going through probate.  Most landlord policies will not cover you if the building is left empty for a while, so taking out unoccupied property insurance can make a lot of sense

Contents Insurance

Insures the contents of your rental property should they be damaged or accidentally destroyed.  Landlord’s contents insurance makes particular sense if your property is let on a partially or fully-furnished basis.  This policy will not include your tenants’ possessions; they will need to take out their own contents policy for that.

Buildings Insurance

This will form the basis of most landlord policies and provides protection should the property be accidentally damaged by common risks such as fire or flood. Most mortgage lenders will insist that you take out buildings insurance unless you own the property on a leasehold basis, in which case your lease owner or management company may already have a policy.

You also need to ensure that your building is covered for rebuild costs.  This is not the same as the market valuation, but the cost of rebuilding the property should it be destroyed.  Many landlords don’t have sufficient rebuild cost limits in place, which has led to a sharp rise in property underinsurance in the UK.  With 80% of UK properties now underinsured**,  it is worth arranging a professional assessment through your local Coversure when taking out landlord insurance.


Tenant Default

Rent is the lifeblood of your business, but what if tenants can’t or won’t pay you?  The mortgage and other bills will still keep coming in, and you could quickly find yourself experiencing financial difficulties.

If you have tenant default cover as part of your policy, you’ll be covered for up to eight months’ lost rent if tenants fail to pay for two consecutive months.  Take out a tenant default option, and you’ll usually get landlord legal expenses cover as well, which covers property-related legal fees up to £50,000, including legal action to repossess the property or pursue unpaid rent

Loss of Rent

What if you couldn’t collect rent as the property has been left uninhabitable following a flood or fire? Could you cope?  With loss of rent cover, you can claim all or a portion of lost rent while your property is unavailable.  You can even claim for the cost of providing alternative accommodation for your tenants

Landlord’s Liability

If a tenant or visiting member of the public suffers injury or damage to their possessions as a result of a fault with your property, you could be held liable in law.  A successful compensation claim in these circumstances could be crippling, so make sure your landlord policy gives you adequate protection

Alternative Accommodation

A temporary place to stay if your property’s rendered uninhabitable and you/your guests/your tenants can’t use it.

If you have alternative accommodation cover as part of a landlord policy, the costs of providing somewhere else for your tenants to stay will be included in your cover

How much does landlord insurance cost?

That will depend on several factors, including:

  • The value of the property
  • The type of property
  • The type of tenant you have
  • Whether it’s buildings and contents, or just buildings
  • Its location
  • Its level of security
  • Whether it’s at risk of flooding
  • Its overall condition
  • The rebuild costs
  • Whether it is residential or commercial

The best way to find out how much protection you need is to contact your local Coversure. They’ll be able to advise you as to what you need and create a package of Landlord cover for you.

Landlord Insurance FAQ

Landlord insurance can be a complex issue, so to help you get the cover you need, here are the answers to some frequently asked questions:

While it’s not a legal requirement, renting a property without landlord insurance could prove unwise.  Standard home insurance won’t give you the protection you need, and if you have a mortgage on the property, your lender may well insist upon you having a policy in place

That will depend on several factors, including:

  • The value of the property
  • The type of property
  • The type of tenant you have
  • Whether it’s buildings and contents, or just buildings
  • Its location
  • Its level of security
  • Whether it’s at risk of flooding
  • Its overall condition
  • The rebuild costs
  • Whether it is residential or commercial

You can start a quote by clicking here or contacting your local Coversure office.  They’ll assess your needs and give you the benefit of their independent advice before searching their markets to build a package of protection that suits your needs and budget

Yes, you can insure an entire portfolio of properties on one policy, giving you one policy to administer

That will depend on your circumstances.  For example, if your property is furnished, then you’d be wise to have contents cover.  Equally, if your property is close to a river or some other body of water, then having flood protection would be a good idea.


At Coversure, we believe in building cover around our clients’ needs, so why not contact your local Coversure office and let them give you the benefit of their independent advice?

Yes, you can, but you’ll need an unoccupied property insurance policy.  If you’d like to know more about our empty property cover, talk to your local Coversure office.

Need a Landlord Insurance quote?

If you’d like a Landlord Insurance quote from Coversure, please contact your local Coversure office or start your quote here. Our independent brokers will search their markets to find you the right policy at the right price to keep your business protected.

Commercial Property

Empty Property

* Policy information is correct at the time of writing. Policy details, limits, and exclusions are subject to insurer’ changes. When taking out a policy, your local Coversure office will be able to advise you of the specifics of your cover.

We're here to help