Contractors All Risk Insurance | Contractors Insurance

We're here to help

Contractors All-Risks

Independent service from your local insurance specialists

Need a contractors all-risks insurance quote?  Let the independent specialists at your local Coversure compare their markets to find you quality C.A.R. insurance protection. Your local Coversure office can offer you tailor-made protection, so start your C.A.R. insurance quote today.

Contractors All-Risks

Service comes first at Coversure, and as the following feefo testimonials show, we’re the team you can trust with your business

Average Customer Rating:

Independent service rating based on 1156 reviews

What Is Contractors All-Risks Insurance?

Contractors all-risk insurance (C.A.R. insurance as it’s also known) is a specialist form of protection designed to serve the needs of people working on construction sites.  This can be anyone from a builder, a plumber, a plant contractor, or an architect.  A single policy protects against several risks, including:
  • Contract works
  • Public liability
  • Product liability
  • Employers’ liability
  • Owned plant
  • Hired-in plant

Who Needs Contractors All-Risks Insurance?

Anyone working on or running a building or construction site should consider getting a contractors all-risk policy, especially if you’re entering a Joint Contracts Tribunal (J.C.T.).  Predominantly this type of policy is taken out by:

  • Builders
  • Plant contractors
  • Plasterers
  • Developers
  • Engineers
  • Heating engineers
  • Sub-contractors

This is just a selection of professions that can benefit from C.A.R. insurance.  If your business is smaller – say if it has less than ten employees and pays less than 35% of its annual turnover to subcontractors – you’ll have the option of having your policy packaged as a tradesmen insurance policy.

If you’d like some advice on whether this type of cover is right for you, please get in touch with your local Coversure office.  They’ll be happy to give you the help you need to ensure you have the proper protection in place.

What can Contractors All-Risks Insurance protect you against?

Contractors risk insurance offers a package of protection that allows you to cover multiple risks on a single policy*.

Employees’ tools

Tools insurance protects against damage to personal tools and effects belonging to an employee

Hired-in plant insurance

Hired-in plant and equipment insurance covers your legal liability under the terms of your hire agreement to pay compensation for damage to the hired-in plant, while in your possession

Owned plant insurance

Helps protects against damage to your plant and equipment while in your possession or while hired out.  It covers things such as scaffolding, temporary buildings, site office contents, and site welfare facilities.

Contract works

Will help protect work in progress on a site in the event of damage before responsibility has been handed to the principal. Contract works also cover any loss or damage to the property and materials.  Contract works include permanent works, including unfixed materials.  Permanent works include all unfixed materials, such as copper pipes or Upvc windows delivered on-site for use in completing the contract, either on the contract site or on the premises of suppliers and sub-contractors.

It also includes cover for temporary works – site installations that are not part of the project but are required to facilitate its building, such as site huts, access roads, scaffolding, fencing, and the like.  Temporary works are covered on-site anywhere in the U.K., including those in transit by road, rail, and inland waterway, while in the course of construction until handed over by the contractor to the principal or employer.

Employers’ liability

This is a legal requirement if you employ people. It provides cover in the event of your employee injuring themselves or if their property is damaged while at work. The law says that if you employ at least one person, you must have employers’ liability insurance (sometimes called ‘E.L. insurance’) to protect your employees in case they are injured or become ill as a result of working for you. Your policy must:

  • Cover you for at least £5 million
  • Be with an authorised insurer
  • And employers must provide a safe working environment

Public Liability

Provides cover should a member of the public injure themselves or if their property is damaged while you are working.  It covers the cost of claims made by members of the public for incidents that occur in connection to your business’s activities, for example if they slip on the floor and decide to sue you, you’ll be covered.

How Much Does Contractors All-Risks Insurance Cost?

That will depend on factors such as:

  • The size of the project
  • The location of the project
  • The value of the contract
  • The level of security on the site
  • The value of the equipment you have there
  • Your claims history

The best way to find out how much protection you need is to contact your local Coversure. They’ll be able to advise you as to what you need and create a package of Contractors All-Risks cover for you.

Contractors All-Risks Insurance FAQ

Contractors risk insurance can be complicated – especially if you’re working on a large project. To help you get the protection you need, here is a selection of frequently asked questions about contractors cover:

No, but the level of protection it affords makes it one that is well worth considering if you’re working on construction sites.  Employers’ liability is a legal necessity if you have any employees

‘All-risks’ is a type of policy that doesn’t name all the insured perils that are covered by the policy.  For example, fire, flood, storm, flood, etc.  All-risk means the policy will respond to all causes of damage to the works in progress.

That will depend on factors such as:

  • The size of the project
  • The location of the project
  • The value of the contract
  • The level of security on the site
  • The value of the equipment you have there
  • Your claims history

If you’d like to know more or would like a contractors all-risks insurance quote, then contact your local Coversure office

The main ones are non-negligence (also known as JCT 6.5.1.) which protects against claims of damage to a neighbouring property due to the works carried out and that are not the result of negligence.  The other is business interruption.  This protects against the loss of income from being unable to trade because of an insured event (i.e., property damage).  A contractor’s all-risk policy will help protect against the consequential loss of the interruption to trade by indemnifying the policyholder for the loss of income.

Risks we get asked about that aren’t included are professional indemnity and directors’ and officers’ insurance.  These can be easily arranged for you, so please get in touch with your local Coversure.

Need a Contractors All-Risks Insurance quote?

If you’d like a Contractors All-Risks Insurance quote from Coversure, please contact your local Coversure office or start your quote here. Our independent brokers will search their markets to find you the right policy at the right price to keep your business protected.

Professional Indemnity


* Policy information is correct at the time of writing. Policy details, limits, and exclusions are subject to insurer’ changes. When taking out a policy, your local Coversure office will be able to advise you of the specifics of your cover.

We're here to help