Pub Insurance | Insurance For Bars | Public House Insurance

We're here to help


Independent service from your local insurance specialists

Need a wine bar or pub insurance quote?  Let the independent specialists at Coversure compare their markets to find you the insurance protection you need. Your local Coversure office can offer you tailor-made protection, so start your quote today.

Service comes first at Coversure, and as the following feefo testimonials show, we’re the team you can trust with your business

Average Customer Rating:

Independent service rating based on 1156 reviews

What Is Public House Insurance?

Pub insurance is a flexible policy that gives pubs, wine bars, and other licenced premises the comprehensive protection they need. Being open to the public, selling alcohol, preparing food, handling cash, and often having staff means pubs and wine bars face a complex mix of risks. With cover through Coversure, you can enjoy tailor-made, quality protection against common risks, such as:
  • A member of the public being injured while in your establishment
  • Damage or theft of your business’s property or its equipment
  • Loss of licence
  • Sickness or injury to your staff resulting from your organisation’s activities
  • Loss or deterioration of stock
  • Contents, fixtures, and fittings cover

Who Needs Public House Insurance?

Pub insurance can protect a wide range of establishments, including:

  • Public houses
  • Wine bars
  • Gastro pubs
  • Cafés serving alcohol
  • Nightclubs
  • Social clubs
  • Private members clubs

That’s to name but a few.  If you’d like some advice or a pub insurance quote built around your licenced premises, please get n touch with your local Coversure.  They’ll be happy to give you the help you need to keep your establishment correctly insured.

What Can Pub Insurance cover?

Pub insurance offers a package of protection that allows you to cover multiple risks on a single policy*.  Your local Coversure office can provide your premises with a range of essential covers, ensuring you have the elements you need without paying for those you don’t.  A typical policy might include the following:

Business contents

If a fire, flood, or other disaster hits your premises, the costs of repairing or replacing bar, kitchen equipment, and front-of-house facilities can be high.  If you have business contents cover in place, then you’ll be able to claim in the event of an accidental catastrophe

Loss of licence

Should you lose your licence to sell alcohol, this policy element could help reimburse you for loss of revenue and product value, so long as the loss wasn’t due to misconduct

Business Interruption

If something catastrophic happened to your business – such as a fire or flood – and your premises is forced to close for a while, could you cope? With no money coming in and bills needing to paying, would you be able to keep putting food on your table while not doing so for your customers? Business interruption cover provides you with an income while your business is out of action, providing much-needed peace of mind in a time of stress

Commercial buildings cover

Do you own the building in which your business operates?  If so, you’ll need commercial buildings insurance to protect your bricks and mortar. Buildings insurance protects you from the cost of repairing or rebuilding your building if it’s damaged by risks such as floods, fires, vandalism, or explosion.

Stock Cover

If you run a shop, pub or restaurant, distributor, or manufacturing plant, you’ll want stock cover to protect your goods – particularly if your stock is expensive items like technology, art, or alcohol or is frozen meat, fresh veg, or anything in between.  Stock cover assists with the costs of replacing or repairing your inventory if it’s damaged, lost, or stolen. Stock cover protects your supplies in the event of storm damage, flood, fire, or theft—a crucial policy element given how expensive your stock can be

Product liability

Did you know that if the products you use, recommend, or sell cause problems, you can be liable for damages? Products are central to your business, and if something goes wrong, you can be liable for claims and compensation.  Should this happen to you, product liability insurance covers the costs of any compensation you are made to pay, together with the legal fees

Employers’ liability

This is a legal requirement if you employ people. It provides cover in the event of your employee injuring themselves or if their property is damaged while at work. The law says that if you employ at least one person, you must have employers’ liability insurance (sometimes called ‘E.L. insurance’) to protect your employees in case they are injured or become ill as a result of working for you. Your policy must:

  • Cover you for at least £5 million
  • Be with an authorised insurer
  • And employers must provide a safe working environment

Public Liability

Provides cover should a member of the public injure themselves or if their property is damaged while you are working.  It covers the cost of claims made by members of the public for incidents that occur in connection to your business’s activities, for example if they slip on the floor and decide to sue you, you’ll be covered.

What Are The Benefits Of Pub Insurance?

As well as being able to protect your business from many risks, pub insurance cover offers the following benefits:

  • Save time – putting various pieces of cover together in one policy means you only have one policy to manage, one renewal date to remember, and one broker to deal with in the event of a claim
  • Save money – as you’re effectively buying insurance in bulk, you can save money versus taking out several separate covers
  • Flexibility – do you need to make a change to your business? With public house insurance, you’ll only have one policy to manage

The best way to find out how much protection you need is to contact your local Coversure. They’ll be able to advise you as to what you need and create a package of Pub cover for you.

Pub Insurance FAQ

This can be a complex area of cover, so to help you get the protection you need, here are Coversure’s pub insurance frequently asked questions.  We hope they will be of use, but if you’d like some personalised independent advice, contact your local Coversure office

It’s available to all forms of pubs, wine bars, licensed clubs, nightclubs, social clubs, etc.

No, but if you have employees, you will need employers’ liability insurance.

That will depend on things such as the size of your business, where it is, whether you have any staff, the value of your stock, how you prepare your food, etc.

If you lose your license owing to complaints from locals about noisy customers or some other reason that wasn’t your fault, loss of licence cover will help cover the shortfall while you get your licence back.

Please note: If you lost your licence as you breached opening hours or served underage drinkers, then you wouldn’t be covered as that’s an illegal act

Yes.  It can cover these items against loss or theft.  It can also protect expensive items such as glassware, cooking equipment, fixtures, and crockery

Yes, there are a couple you may wish to consider:

  • Legal expenses cover – if a claim is made against you, this can help with legal bills like solicitors’ fees. Some insurers also offer expert advice on a range of legal matters, from employment law to health and safety
  • Money cover – this can protect any cash you keep in the till or locked in a safe on the premises. It’ll usually also cover money in transit if you take the day’s takings home or to the bank after cashing up
  • Entertainment cover – if you host vents and entertainment, you may require extra protection

Getting a quote is easy; contact your local Coversure office or start your pub insurance quote today

Need a Pub Insurance quote?

If you’d like a Pub Insurance quote from Coversure, please contact your local Coversure office or start your quote here. Our independent brokers will search their markets to find you the right policy at the right price to keep your business protected.

Commercial Combined

Public Liability

* Policy information is correct at the time of writing. Policy details, limits, and exclusions are subject to insurer’ changes. When taking out a policy, your local Coversure office will be able to advise you of the specifics of your cover.

We're here to help