Motor Trade Insurance | Motor Traders Insurance | Coversure

We're here to help

Motor Trade

Independent service from your local insurance specialists

Need a motor trade insurance quote?  Let the independent specialists at your local Coversure compare their markets to find you quality road risk motor insurance protection.  Your local Coversure  can offer motor traders the protection they need, so start your quote today.

Service comes first at Coversure, and as the following feefo testimonials show, we’re the team you can trust with your business

Average Customer Rating:

Independent service rating based on 1156 reviews

What Is Motor Trade Insurance?

Motor trade insurance is a specialist form of cover designed to serve the needs of people involved in buying and selling vehicles. This includes a wide range of professions, including:
  • Part-time car dealers
  • People who run vehicle breakdown and recovery services
  • Garages and mechanics
  • Car transporters
  • Valeters

Coversure has helped hundreds of motor trade professionals get quality protection.  Thanks to our extensive network of insurer relationships, your local Coversure office can tailor our cover to your needs.  They’ll be happy to give you the help you need to keep your business safe.

What Can a Motor Trade Policy Cover?

Your local Coversure insurance broker will take the time to talk to you so they can understand your exact needs before building a policy that protects what matters to you.  Motor trade insurance offers a package of protection that allows you to cover multiple risks on a single policy* that can give you cover for:

  • Road risks – this allows you to drive your own and others’ vehicles on the road as part of your day-to-day business
  • Public liability Insurance – if someone is injured or has their property damaged while on your premises then public liability insurance will protect you
  • Material damage – this can provide cover for damage done to any stock vehicles or equipment you own, such as unsold vehicles you own as a car seller
  • Business premises – if you trade from dedicated premises – a workshop, garage, or showroom – you may need cover for the buildings. If you lease premises, check with your landlord to see if they have buildings cover.  If you own the premises, talk to your local Coversure office about calculating the cost of repairing or rebuilding them to ensure you get the correct level of protection
  • Business interruption and loss of income – great peace of mind to self-employed business owners
  • Business contents – including your stock of vehicles
  • Home contents – with the option of accidental damage. This could be valuable if you are trading from home
  • Loss of money
  • Employers’ liability insurance – £5m of employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ staff
  • Product liability insurance – should a product you use or recommend cause damage or harm
  • Extra driver cover – if your employees drive customers’ cars, you’ll need to decide between an ‘any driver’ policy or adding several named employees as extra drivers. In many cases, the latter will be cheaper
  • Various vehicle types of cover – you must make sure your insurance covers you and your staff to drive the necessary vehicle types, whether it’s cars, vans, or HGVs
  • Tools and equipment – such as tools stored on-premises, diagnostic equipment, portable hand tools, ramps, lifting tables, compressors, or paint spray booths/ovens in body shops
  • Sales and service indemnity – protects you against claims of damage or injury to people or property after selling or repairing a vehicle. It can include faulty parts or repair work that has directly contributed to an injury
  • Personal injury protection
  • Home and garden packages – so you can protect your world with a single policy
  • Goods in transit insurance

Coversure's Motor Trade Insurance cover also gives you

  • Free legal assistance and advice – 24/7, 365 days a year by our advice hotline, Claimsline
  • Total incident management – so you won’t be on your own in the event of a problem

And when it comes to dealers, we can offer:

  • The transfer of your no-claims discount from your private car
  • Automatic cover for own vehicle as standard
  • Demonstration options
  • Legal liability

And for motor service industry professionals, we can offer:

  • Cover for most motor service occupations, e.g., mechanics or car valeters
  • Cover for private vehicles
  • The option of comprehensive, third-party fire and theft or third-party only cover

What Is ‘Care, Custody, and Control’?

Care, custody, and control are how insurers see your responsibilities when you take a customer’s vehicle in.  This typically means that while it is in your business’s possession, you are liable for it and need specialist protection.  If you need to take it on the road – to check a repair, take a customer on a test drive or get it back from an auction or seller’s property – then you will need a road risk option too.

Who Can Get Motor Trade Insurance?

Motor trade cover is for people who are professionally involved in the buying, selling, moving, or maintaining vehicles, including:

  • Service and repair garages
  • Part-time and full-time vehicle sales
  • MOT providers
  • Mobile mechanics
  • Garages – mechanical repairs, tuning, and servicing, including trucks and HGVs
  • Classic car restorers
  • Vehicle electricians
  • Car dealerships – including sales and servicing
  • Breakdown and recovery businesses
  • Vehicle collection and delivery businesses
  • Exhaust and tyre fitters
  • Valeters
  • Windscreen fitters
  • Petrol stations

Coversure can offer cover to these professionals if you have two years’ no-claims (either private or motor trade). Motor trade insurance isn’t for people with several vehicles. They need fleet insurance.

The best way to find out how much protection you need is to contact your local Coversure. They’ll be able to advise you as to what you need and create a package of Motor Trade cover for you.

Motor Trade Insurance FAQ

Motor trade insurance can be a complex area of cover, so to help you get the protection you need, here is Coversure’s motor trade insurance frequently asked questions.  We hope they will be of use, but if you’d like some personalised independent advice, talk to your local Coversure office.

Coversure can offer cover to a range of vehicle professionals so long as they have two years’ no-claims (either private or motor trade) and they can prove their trading credentials – so receipts, invoices, etc.

No, motor trade insurance is only for professional vehicle traders.  If you have more than two vehicles and would like to reduce your insurance costs, then fleet insurance could be a good option.

That will depend on factors such as:

  • The size of your business
  • The type of work you do
  • The range of cover you wish to have
  • The value of your stock
  • Whether you have premises
  • Whether you have any employees
  • If you work part-time or full-time

Getting a quote is easy; contact your local Coversure office or start your motor trade insurance quote today

Yes, we’ll need to see proof of trading, so sales receipts, invoices, that kind of thing

If you want to drive customers’ vehicles on the road, then yes

Providing that the no claims bonus is from an annual policy valid within the last 12 months, we can use it.  The NCB does need to be from a private policy or commercial vehicle policy

Public liability insurance is recommended as it covers you against injury claims from employees and members of the public and typically comes packaged together.  Policies can include legal defence costs, as well as payment for any successful claims

Typically, insurance companies will pay the motor trade value for the vehicle.  The exception to this would be for a customer’s vehicle that you have in your possession

Need a Motor Trade Insurance quote?

If you’d like a Motor Trade Insurance quote from Coversure, please contact your local Coversure office or start your quote here. Our independent brokers will search their markets to find you the right policy at the right price to keep your business protected.

Commercial Vehicle

Public Liability

* Policy information is correct at the time of writing. Policy details, limits, and exclusions are subject to insurer’ changes. When taking out a policy, your local Coversure office will be able to advise you of the specifics of your cover.

We're here to help